- This event has passed.
The Heart of Change: Mindfulness, Compassion, and Activism
August 5 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm PDT
A Daylong with Deborah Eden Tull, Elizabeth Rice, and Cheryl Slean
Saturday, August 5, 2017
10:00am – 4:00pm; Santa Monica (InsightLA)
Last year’s election has shaken many people to the core.
People are asking the questions:
– How can I stay present and centered with such intense feelings being triggered?
– How can I respond consciously and effectively to what is going on in our country and our world?
– What is the role of compassion and mindfulness in activism and social change?
– What does compassionate action look like in light of the current political situation?
Consider that these are the times we have been practicing for… and our practice has great wisdom to offer in times as tumultuous as today.
The Heart of Change is a unique workshop interweaving meditation and mindfulness with The Work That Reconnects, as created by eco-philosopher and Buddhist scholar Joanna Macy.
In this workshop, we will gather together to acknowledge the power of presence at this pivotal point in world affairs. We will explore:
– How to transform our feelings about the world into compassionate action
– How to take outer action from inner listening, in order to be effective agents of change
– How to meet our pain from a place of stillness rather than reactivity.
– How to release unhelpful and limiting conditioned beliefs we may have about what it means to be an activist and what is required to make change in the world
– How to deepen our embodiment of interconnection
– How to contribute to global social justice and sustainability while avoiding burnout
This daylong retreat/workshop will involve meditation and mindfulness, writing exercises, relational mindfulness, and facilitated group discussion. Please wear comfortable clothing and bring a journal & pen.
**This event is co-sponsored by InsightLA and Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society and will be held at InsightLA in Santa Monica.**
For more information on this event, please click here.