Statement of Commitment
For nine years Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society has used the Buddha’s teachings to uncover greed, hatred and delusion wherever it is found and to cultivate the wisdom and compassion necessary to alleviate suffering. We are dedicated to maintaining an ethical framework for all of our actions and to live in a way that does not cause harm to any beings.
Since the inauguration we have disagreed with the actions of the new administration and been concerned about the threat it has posed to the civil liberties of the citizens and residents of the United States and to our neighbors around the world. ATS is not content to sit quietly as we see these abuses unfold. We are stating our commitment to help change what we think are deluded and harmful actions and to support others in their work.
- We stand with the LGBTQ community and oppose any rollback to their rights.
- We support immigrants’ rights and oppose the attack on sanctuary cities.
- We support religious tolerance for all and vehemently oppose any Muslim ban.
- We support women’s rights and oppose the attacks on their reproductive freedom.
- We believe in transparency in government and the freedom of the press.
- We are committed to calling out white supremacy in all its forms and to put an end to systemic and institutionalized racism. Black Lives Matter.
- We are opposed to the weakening of the EPA, the denial of climate change and the degradation of the environment. No DAPL.
- We believe in the right to affordable health care and a social safety net to support the most vulnerable in our society.
- We believe in the right to a free and equal education for all.
The Buddha’s teachings on wise speech exhort us to speak what is necessary and we are committed to speaking up and supporting those who work for justice and ending intolerance. Many of our community members are working hard toward this goal and we will serve as a clearinghouse for their work and to foster actions that seem appropriate. We urge you to get involved.
We also believe deeply in the teaching that hatred never ceases through hatred, but only through love. Using the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path as our foundation and bulwark, we will say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done with wisdom and compassion for all beings.
In this time of national turmoil Against the Stream is committed to be a place of refuge and sacred resistance. We believe in the equality of all beings and to end suffering wherever we see it.